Monday, January 14, 2013

So weird

I've noticed a few weird things here, some cultural, some scientific, and some environmental. Here is a list of those weird things I just can't get over...
  1. It's daylight all the time. I knew this coming here, but I just can't get used to it. I have no sense of time anyway but here I can't tell if it's 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning.
  2. Twenty four hour daylight does not mean it is warm all day, this is especially applicable when sleeping outside. Don't let the sunlight fool you. 
  3. There are no bugs. These are the first outhouses where I don't have to worry about spiders lurking in the corners.
  4. The air is so dry, I don't need a blow dryer. However, this can also be attributed to the lower standards of personal appearance.
  5. Everyone knows you are new. It feels like my 7th grade move to Melba all over again. Awkward.
  6. The live music here is ridiculously good. 
  7. There are 3 bars. There are a lot of similarities to Melba. 
  8. Skua will attack for food. Skua are basically aggressive seagulls, and one was circling me this morning. 
  9. Frosty boy is the best part of every meal.
  10. People here are extreme in whatever it is they do- travel, cook, study science... Extreme. 
  11. Some people wear shorts. Short shorts. It's weird. 
  12. No cell phone. I have to admit it is nice to be unplugged for a little bit, but I miss talking to everyone back home. 
  13. Sometimes people dress up as clowns. I don't ask questions. 
  14. Famous people come here, like Nobel Prize winners and the Prime Minister of New Zealand.
  15. I have an awesome tan, but only on my face. 
  16. It is not as cold as Rexburg. 

The weirdness is what gives this place its personality, and as strange as everything gets, I really do love it.  I'll update the list as more weird things come up, and I know more weird things will come up.








1 comment:

  1. Awww I love reading your blog! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete