Sunday, January 20, 2013

Savvy?

This may be an American station, but the language and culture are quite foreign. There are acronyms and nicknames for almost everything.

Here are a few..

Boondoggle: a day trip disguised as work though it is clearly for sight seeing or adventure seeking.

Boomerang: to start a flight but have to turn around due to bad weather. This can be quite depressing if you've already reached the halfway mark.

Crud: gross sickness that endlessly cycles around McMurdo.

Beaker: scientist.

The Ice: Antarctica.

Freshies: fresh fruits and vegetables.

Frosty Boy: frozen yogurt machine. This machine isn't an official Frosty Boy, but acquired the nickname from the previous frozen yogurt machine.

DV: Distinguished visitors. These guys get the royal treatment.

Happy Camper: I called this snow school the other day and nobody knew what I was talking about. I guess the wormherders are the only ones who refer to it as snow school. Weird.

Kiwi: New Zealander.

Skua: There are bins around town of unwanted items people don't feel like packing home, these are accurately named after the skua birds that scavenge everything. There are some great finds if you are willing to search.

Herbie: winter hurricane. 

I worry that once you are used to the quirky culture here, you become one of them...


CULTURE SHOCK WHEN I GET BACK TO NORMAL LIFE


http://whatshouldwecallgradschool.tumblr.com/









2 comments:

  1. I had a wonderful roommate from New Zealand. I picked up a few of her terms. For example: grunts -- underwear; brawley -- umbrella; cotton -- thread. I'm sure I could remember more, but those have burned into my current vocabulary. It's fun!

    Have a great time! I'm loving following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool, I love their vocabulary! Jim Jams -> pajamas! I'm keeping that one...

    ReplyDelete