Monday, January 28, 2013

I got worms

Antarctica from my point of view:

Eudorylaimus

Molting Scottnema (awesome)
Tardigrade (I think?) egg

Tardigrade!
I counted over 100 tardigrades in one sample. That was a good day.
an arachnophobe's worst enemy: the mite
Geomonhystera

Tardigrade



We counted so many worms, I started seeing them wiggling around when I would close my eyes. Unpleasant. These plots are monitored every year so we can study changes in the populations how how these populations respond to droughts, floods, changes in temperature, and changes in nutrient availability. It is completely different from my research back at home but it's really cool to look at things on a population scale, rather than molecular (I do miss my bacteria though). The science down here is so much fun and every lab is doing something completely different.

We ended up running 304 samples, some with hundreds of nematodes. I'll get the final count posted soon! For now I am hoping it will be a while before I see another worm...

 

MY FAMILY WHEN I TELL THEM ABOUT MY RESEARCH

3 comments:

  1. Dannie the favorite sisterJanuary 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

    That is fairly true..but you have said a lot of weird things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HahahaI want a like button! P.S. I miss you. Come back! ... but have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my way home now! It's bitter sweet... The fresh food makes it worth it but I'm not ready for real life to start!

    ReplyDelete