Thursday, December 27, 2012

Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! 

I'm new to this so wish me luck! I'll try to update regularly so you can have an idea what I'm doing while I'm in Antarctica.

 

In case you are wondering what a water bear is, it is probably the coolest microorganism you will ever see. To prepare for my trip, I spent a lot of time studying nematodes (worms) under a microscope trying to memorize the three different species I need to identify. Tardigrades, or water bears, are another animal I get to identify and these are probably my favorite (don't tell Dr. Adams). When you watch them wiggle around you understand why they are called bears. They look like chunky, eight-legged bears swimming in water.


Scanning electron microscope image of a water bear.

Dissecting microscope image of a water bear


1 comment:

  1. BIOIMAGER Inc. specializes in providing the turn-key and high efficient microscopy-based imaging solutions for life sciences and industrial applications, including epi-fluorescence, biological, metallurgical and polarizing microscopy products.

    ReplyDelete